Fort Myer, VA Memories
Featuring South Post c1940-1970
New May Posting: Pam Barry Benson Family photos - South Post
This aerial view c1968 depicts about 20% of South Post Fort Myer. Higgins Circle is in the middle of the shot, with the Post PX to the left and the Rec Center to the right of the PX. The "Green Room" snack bar is to the right of the Rec Center and the old WAC barracks, built around 1940 are to the upper right. These barracks were later used to house soldiers in Headquarters Company who had duty in The Pentagon (out of focus in extreme upper right). The street in the lower right was "Avenue of the Trees"- this turned into McClellan Drive once it crossed Arlington Ridge Road, and  went through McClellan Gate into Arlington Cemetery. Photo courtesy Kim Holien.
All Images, Designs, Intellectual Property © 2007-2014